KVSH 101.9FM – A to I
KVSH 101.9FM – J to Z
About Voice of Vashon
Stirring The Pot ~ Teatime
August 28th, 2019 by Linda Nygaard
In this episode, Linda welcomes Cate O’Kane (who hails from England) and Amy Broomhall (who hails from Australia. Together they tell tea stories, offer baking hints, and some general ideas about taking tea. There are differences in the way Aussies and Brits approach tea and it’s very interesting!
A BBC Good Food recipe.
Best eaten hot and toasted with lashings of butter
1. Melt butter into milk in a small saucepan. Once completely melted add 1/2 cup of cold water to bring down temperature.
2. In a mixing bowl place flour, sugar and spice. On one side of bowl place yeast, other side salt. Make a well in the middle and pour in milk/butter mixture. Mix well.
3. When fully clumped together, take out of bowl and knead together for a further 5 minutes. Place back in bowl, cover with tea towel and leav to rise for 1.5 hours.
4. Once risen, add dried fruit mixture trying to get it as evenly spaced as possible. Once mixed in, cut mixture into 6 equal parts. Using hand as roller, roll into small roll shapes and then flatten down on top to make tea cake shape as seen in picture.
5. Place 2 inches apart on baking tray and leave to rise for another 45 mins. Then do an egg wash on top of each and place on top shelf of 400F/ gas mark 6 oven for 20 mins.
7. Leave to rest on baking rack or cut one open straight way and slather with butter to enjoy fully. If cool, pop in toaster and enjoy hot and toasty.